The oldest restaurant in Tampere
Master Baker and Confectioner Carl Gustaf Malakias Tallqvist opened an outdoor restaurant in Viikinsaari island on 1866. Later, in 1881 he acquired the entire island and the neighbouring island Lehtisaari from Carl Gustaf Brakel, the owner of Viikki mansion. Back then these two islands went by name Kaidesaaret. The first summer restaurant was built in 1886 where the current decorative villa stands these days.
The original restaurant building was destroyed in a fire in 1895. This was also the faith for the following building in 1900. However, on the same year, a villa with elaborate decorations was designed by the city architect Lambert Petterson. Even the construction was completed that year. Today, this is the one and only summer restaurant in Tampere, still almost in its original appearance.
Catering and event organization for every occasion
We offer lake and archipelago inspired, straightforward Finnish food with a modern twist without forgetting our long history. We value Finnish ingredients, local producers and the island's very own herb garden.
We have a first class à la carte menu and a stylish and filling weekend brunch. For more laid-back moments, we have a special terrace menu.
We serve Viikinsaari Summer Theatre customers during the intermission, as well as before and after the play. For groups enjoying the theatre performance and for private events, special menus are available upon request. In Restaurant Viikinsaari you can organize any occasion, private events, summer parties and weddings effortlessly.